Welcome to NetSci's
Lists of Software for
Bioinformatics: Sequence Management
Notice: Statements and opinions made for the products within this listing were supplied by their owners. Network Science Corporation assumes no responsibility for the content of these listings. All product and company names mentioned in this publication are patents, trademarks, registered trademarks or servicemarks of their respective holders. The Tabular Software Listings portion of this site are Copyright © 1995/2006 by Network Science Corporated. All rights reserved.
The Software Section of NetSci is accessed by hundreds of scientists every week. Our goal is to make this resource as comprehensive as possible. If your software program is not included, please send e-mail with a brief description, the categories under which your program should appear, the platforms supported, and contact information.
For programs currently listed in NetSci, please check the table and description and notify us of any changes or additions.
[ A, B, C ] --
[ D, E, F ] --
[ G, H, I ] --
[ J, K, L ]
[ M, N, O ] --
[ P, Q, R ] --
[ S, T, U ] --
[ V, W ] --
[ X, Y, Z]
BioMerge Developed by Molecular Informatics, Inc. (MII) and marketed in partnership with PE Biosystems, Inc. BioMerge is a complete system for managing biological sequence data and related information. Fast becoming the industry standard for managing sequence data, this bioinformatics tool brings together public, third-party, and proprietary sequence data into a single, fully functional relational database management system.
CLC Workbench is a freeware bioinformatics software package available for Windows, MacOS X and Linux. CLC Free Workbench integrates several features into one single user-friendly program.
Gene Construction Kit(tm) 2: A DNA manipulation, cloning design, and illustration tool. GCK2 provides a way to manipulate DNA sequences with an intuitive graphical interface -- the way biologists think about and illustrate their cloning projects. The graphical interface provides a natural way to present and assemble the many steps needed in most cloning projects.
- This preferred Plasmid Mapping software for the Mac will be available beginning in January 2000, for Windows® 95, 98 and NT as well as MacOS®.
- GCK2 is ideal for planning and tracking complex construction projects with its ability to automatically monitor DNA fragment ends during cutting and pasting graphical representations of constructs.
- The unique Chronography feature tracks the history of any given DNA segment and maintains alternative views - a powerful feature that sets GCK2 apart from the rest!
- The feature set is the same for GCK2 for the Mac and Windows versions, and so is its interface and ease of use.
- All GCK2 Mac files can be opened by Windows PC's, and vice versa. Collaborations with colleagues who have different types of computers are now easier than ever.
To learn more and to download a demo of Gene Construction Kit2 visit http://www.sciquest.com. Contact:
- SciQuest, Inc.
- P.O. Box 12156
- Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2156
- phone: 1-877-710-0412
- fax 1-888-638-7934
GeneJockey is a program for editing, manipulation, and analysis of nucleic acid and protein sequences. It can scan nucleic acid sequences to select oligonucleotides for use as PCR primers. It can also perform sequence alignments and concatenation and can search GeneBank and other libraries. Available from Biosoft, PO Box 10938, Ferguson, MO 63135; Tel: 314-524-8029; URL http://www.biosoft.com/biosoft
GeneStudio Pro from GeneStudio, Inc. (http://www.genestudio.com) is a newly developed suite of molecular biology programs for Windows. Features include:
- Modern, intuitive, drag-and-drop interface
- Sequence alignments with an interface to phylogenetic analysis and display of trees
- Contig editor for your sequencing projects
- Innovative viewers interfacing with word processing and presentation software
- Full integration of Internet resources such as Entrez (GenBank), PubMed, and BLAST
Starfruit Data Unlimited International, Inc., Gaithersburg, Maryland has released Starfruit DNA, a new DNA Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) with system architecture specifically designed for clinical and forensic DNA testing. The software is based on The Department of Defense (DOD) technology utilized by The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) to identify human remains of past and current conflicts around the world.
Starfruit DNA combines the knowledge of the scientific laboratory and the power of computing technology to implement laboratory processes, analysis and reporting to guide the laboratory scientist. Starfruit DNA integrates flow, storage, and management of data to help process and automate cases. The software brings the benefits of;
- supervising the laboratory process via Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that reflect Good Laboratory Practices(GLP) regulations;
- recording of laboratory activity;
- chain of custody maintenance; and
- allows increased throughput of laboratory cases.
Data Unlimited International, Inc., is offering interested DNA laboratories to join its Starfruit Benefits Program (SBP) which permits a laboratory to customize The Starfruit DNA software to their needs at no cost to them. This program eliminates the most costly side of implementing a LIMS system.
Starfruit DNA operates under Windows95 and WindowsNT operating systems.
Contact: Eric Dixon
Data Unlimited International, Inc.
362A Christopher Ave.
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
(240) 631-7937 (FAX)
Vector NTI is a Macintosh- and Windows-based molecular biology support system which offers:
- Access to internet resources
- Automatic design of molecules
- Advanced PCR analysis
- Maintanence of parent-descendent trees
- Professional database
- Dynamic electrophoresis simulation
- Graphical molecular editor
- Publication quality graphics
A free demo of Vector NTI is available from:
444 North Frederick Ave, STE 308
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
NetSci, ISSN 1092-7360, is published by Network Science Corporation. Except where expressly stated, content at this site is copyright (© 1995 - 2010) by Network Science Corporation and is for your personal use only. No redistribution is allowed without written permission from Network Science Corporation. This web site is managed by:
- Network Science Corporation
- 4411 Connecticut Avenue NW, STE 514
- Washington, DC 20008
- Tel: (828) 817-9811
- E-mail: TheEditors@netsci.org
- Website Hosted by Total Choice